Thursday, May 28, 2009

Choices

Today I have been thinking about short term and long term decision making. I read this article in Macleans magazine "Addition: New research suggests it is a choice". and it fascinated me. It suggests that addiction is not a disease but instead is a problem in personal choice. The fault lies with choosing long term verses short term benefits on behaviors. I have no idea if he is correct, but the short term verses long term benefit on decisions is something that I struggle with for sure. We have all had that moment, the bowl of ice cream or fitting into those pants. (By the way, today I took the ice cream. You cannot bring home a new carton of ice cream without tasting it. What if it was bad?) Why is it so difficult? Is it cultural? I know I struggle with teaching this to my kids. Hmm.

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

I like your blog. I started on Clomid a couple of months ago- and nothing has worked so far. I am freaked about IVY

Anonymous said...

I read "adoption" insetead of addiction...guess you can see what my frame of reference is!