Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Wiping your bottom

Well the hot topic at our house is teaching our 4.5 year old to wipe his bottom. He is one of those kids who loves napkins and keeping his hands clean. He gardens in mittens. How do you teach him? I have thought about bribery, uh incentives. He is a great kid, but he is resisting on this point and who can blame him. Maybe I should get one of those japanese toilets that does it all for you? Maybe that is not in this weeks budget?

We got him to poop in the toilet by letting him watch the inner workings of the toilet if he used it. He never made a mistake because he so wanted to watch the water. I am now very knowledgable about the inner workings on the toilet because of all of his "What is that?" questions. For a while our favourite book was the "Home How-To" especially the plumbing section. But, unfortunately, he is over that now.

I am not even sure what technique to use. Do you reach from the back or through the legs? I am afraid to do a web search incase I find out other things that I don't want to know about.

1 comment:

DD said...

I had to comment on this because we are exactly in the same position...so to speak.

My son "attempts" to wipe (just brushes the paper across the upper part of his butt), but I don't know how to get him to do it right. Do I have him inspect the dirty paper? I know he knows where it all comes from, because he has to share that info when taking a bath, but I haven't checked the internet, either for advice for the same reason...