Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lentil Soup

I was inspired to post this because Infertile Fantasies posted her own Lentil Soup. I love Lentil Soup and eat it almost every day. This is my variation of a Scottish Lentil Soup. I thought that I should send it to everyone. It is easy, nutritious, and delicious. This makes about 10 cups of soup.

1 Liter or Quart of Organic Chicken Broth (This allows you to skip the boiling of bones, careful that it has no more than 750 mg of sodium or the soup might be too salty)
2 Medium Carrots
1 Leek
1 Bayleaf
Pepper to taste
1 cup / 250 mg of red lentils (cook faster than green)

Add broth to large pot, add lentils and bring to boil. Add bayleaf and pepper. Grind or chop carrots (depending on how thick you like your soup). Wash and Chop Leek. Remove foam from soup. Add carrots and leeks. If you are not a fan of leeks, which taste like very mild onions only better, you can substitute an onion. But you will need to sauté onions until translucent before adding to soup. Stir occasionally. Allow to simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours or until carrots and lentils are tender.

Once simmering is done, I have been known to add leftover chicken/veggies from the fridge. I have also added curry spices too. This makes for a hearty soup. I hope that you enjoy this as much a I do.

No comments: